: 2012 Celebrating Senior Champions
honors and celebrates healthy aging, healthy living and healthy communities, as well as those who devote themselves to senior causes. WHY
: UPMC Senior Services hosts this annual event to recognize individuals and organizations who champion senior causes and help make western Pennsylvania a model for healthy aging.
Proceeds from the benefit and auction go to the UPMC Senior Communities Benevolent Care Fund
, which provides financial assistance and support services to eligible seniors who live in UPMC Senior Communities. WHO
• Loren Roth, M.D., associate senior vice chancellor, Clinic Policy and Planning, Health Sciences; professor of psychiatry, School of Medicine; professor of health policy and management, Graduate School of Public Health, all at the University of Pittsburgh; and senior advisor, Quality, UPMC Health Plan
. Dr. Roth will receive the Grand Champion award.
• The Seeders and Weeders Garden Club will receive the Community Champion award, which will be accepted by Eleanor and Deborah Scully.
• Jean Curtis, who has selflessly given her time and energy to many individuals over the past 60 years, will receive the Good Neighbor Champion award.
• Robert Shuster, an enthusiastic caregiver to friends and neighbors alike, will receive the Caregiver Champion award.
• Veterans of each military branch who are residents in the UPMC Senior Communities will be honored for service. More than 60 veterans, most of whom served in WW II, will be in attendance.
• Deborah Brodine, president, UPMC Senior Communities
• Brenda Waters, KDKA-TV
news reporter, will emcee the event.
• Entertainment will be provided by Rev. Gaea Thompson on violin and Dr. Joseph Wilcox Jenkins on piano during the reception; Mark and Donna Groom of the Skyliners
will perform following dinner.
• River City Brass Band
will perform a medley of the themes of each military branch and the national anthemWHEN
: 5:30 p.m., cocktails, hors d’oeuvres and auction; 7:30 p.m., dinner; Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012 WHERE
: Omni William Penn Hotel
, 530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, Pa., 15219Note to Media
: Please contact Stephanie Stanley at 412-855-8690 to arrange interviews.