UPMC East Kicks Off New Monroeville Mall-Walker Program with Screenings, Education
WHAT: UPMC East
kickoff event for new Monroeville Mall-Walker Program featuring health screenings that will include blood pressure, cholesterol and Body Mass Index, or BMI. Participants also can “Ask the Expert,” Cindy Donovan, Diabetes Educator/Health Coach. Refreshments will be provided.
- Make walking a part of a personal health and wellness journey
- Get daily exercise in a clean, safe, weatherproof environment
- Free educational programs
- Free health screenings
- Access to the 1 mile and 1.5 mile loop throughout the lower and upper levels
HOW IT WORKS:
- There will be onsite registration at the kickoff event. In addition, walkers may register at one of the monthly walking events, which will be held from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Walk the course at your own pace and convenience.
- Walkers have access to the mall Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Receive updates about monthly educational sessions in the food court.
WHY: As part of UPMC East’s commitment to the community and its health, a partnership has been developed with Monroeville Mall to offer a walking program to eastern suburb residents that can help them get moving and support a more heart-healthy lifestyle.
BENEFITS OF WALKING:
- Benefits to your health and wellness can be greatly increased by regular exercise, including walking, which:
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- Is a good way to help manage your weight
- Increases the rate at which you burn calories (metabolism)
- Increases your energy level
- Improves your sleep
- Prevents the loss of muscle mass during weight reduction
- Reduces your risk of certain chronic diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes
- Improves your bone density
- Improves your self-esteem and sense of control
DID YOU KNOW?
- One mile is about 2,000 steps, or a 20-minute walk
- In your lifetime, you will walk about 65,000 miles – that’s three times around the earth!
- A typical pair of walking shoes lasts about 500 miles
- An average city block is equivalent to 200 steps
- The average human walking speed is about 3.1 miles per hour, or 5.0 kilometers per hour
WHO: All levels of walking participation are welcome
WHEN: 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Nov. 13
: Monroeville Mall
, Lower Level (outside Food Court), 200 Mall Circle Dr., Monroeville, Pa., 15146
# # #