UPMC Honors Transplant Donors, Recipients During Donate Life Month
WHAT: Donate Life Month
is an annual commemoration of organ donors and the recipients they have helped. At UPMC
, the month will kick off with a Donate Life flag-raising ceremony and be followed by a series of events designed to honor organ donors, celebrate recipients and spread awareness of the importance of signing up to become an organ donor.
WHO: UPMC hospital leadership, transplant surgeons and nurses, organ donor families and transplant recipients. Many events are also open to the public.
WHEN: A variety of events are planned throughout April, including:
- UPMC Donate Life Flag Raising Ceremony, Tuesday, April 2, 10 a.m., UPMC Montefiore. Donor families and transplant recipients will share their stories during a flag-raising ceremony at the hospital entrance.
- Donate Life Patient Parade, Wednesday, April 10, 10 a.m., Biomedical Science Tower Lobby. Transplant recipients will parade through the hospital, visiting the nurses and doctors who cared for them.
- International Transplant Nurses’ Day, Wednesday, April 17.
- National Donate Life Blue and Green Day, Friday, April 19. Everyone is encouraged to wear blue and green, the official colors of Donate Life America.
- Strike Gold for Team Pittsburgh, Sunday April 20, 3 p.m., Nesbit’s Lanes, 3501 Leechburg Rd., Plum Borough.
- Living-Donor Celebration, Saturday, April 20, Rangos Conference Center, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. Living donors are recognized at this annual event.
- UPMC Celebration of Life, Friday, April 26, 2 p.m., UPMC Montefiore. A gathering of transplant donors, recipients and their families will share their stories of hope.
WHY: More than 7,900 Pennsylvanians are awaiting an organ transplant. Each day, 18 people in the United States die while on the waiting list because a suitable match was not found in time. Each organ donor has the potential to save eight lives and help more than 50 people.
UPMC Transplant Services is dedicated to raising awareness about organ transplantation. Every year, UPMC acknowledges the contributions of organ donors and the success of transplant recipients during Donate Life Month.
In addition to the events planned above, donor awareness tables will be set up throughout UPMC Presbyterian and UPMC Montefiore hospitals the week of April 15.Volunteers will answer questions about organ donation and provide information on signing up to be an organ donor.
Media wishing to cover any of the events during Donate Life Month should contact Jennifer C. Yates at 412-647-9966 or YatesJC@upmc.edu