Magee’s New Emergency Department Opens to the Public January 12th
PITTSBURGH, Jan. 2, 2014
– Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC’s
new emergency department is scheduled to open at 7 a.m., Sunday, Jan. 12. Constructed to meet Magee’s growing patient volume, the design of the new ED will create a better experience for patients, staff and physicians. The new emergency department will bring patients in closer proximity to key hospital services, including imaging, the Womancare Birth Center, patient and operating rooms.
The emergency department entrance will be moved to Craft Avenue in order to ease traffic congestion at the main hospital entrance along Halket Street.
“Our emergency department provides a wide range of services to a variety of patients, including pregnant women experiencing complications, older patients in need of our geriatric services, bariatric patients and cancer patients, and victims of sexual assault,” said Leslie C. Davis, president of Magee. “Our new emergency department design addresses the diverse needs of the patients we treat.”
Highlights of the new emergency department include:
- A private room designed to provide better care of sexual assault victims, created in consultation with Pittsburgh Action Against Rape
- Design consideration for bariatric and geriatric patients, such as lower beds, and floors specifically varnished to aid walkers
- Accommodations for emergency medical service (EMS), including wireless internet and a dedicated break room
- An exam room with in-room obstetric ultrasound capability
- Dedicated parking for emergency department patients
“UPMC is a leader regionally and nationally in emergency care, and Magee’s new department builds on that tradition by ensuring the needs of everyone — from the patient to the physicians to the EMS — are addressed,” said Joe Suyama, M.D
., chief of Emergency Services at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.
Community members interested in touring the new emergency department prior to its opening can attend any of the following open house dates:
- 9 to 11 a.m., Wed., Jan. 8
- 12 to 2 p.m. or 5 to 7 p.m., Thurs., Jan. 9
- 11 to 1 p.m., Sat., Jan. 11