UPMC East Mall-Walker Program Presents ‘Ask the Pharmacist’
“Ask the Pharmacist” educational session, part of the Monroeville Mall-Walker Program. Participants are invited to bring a list of the medications they currently are taking for a discussion with a UPMC East
pharmacist. Interested individuals also will have the opportunity to sign up for the walking program.
MALL-WALKER PROGRAM GOALS:
- Make walking part of a personal health and wellness journey
- Get daily exercise
- A clean, safe, weatherproof environment in which to get exercise
- Free educational programs
- Free health screenings
- Access to the 1 mile and 1.5 mile loop throughout the lower and upper level
HOW IT WORKS:
- Walkers may register at one of the monthly walking events, which are held from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Walkers do the course at their own pace and convenience.
- Walkers have access to the mall Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Walkers receive updates about monthly educational sessions in the mall’s food court.
WHY: As part of UPMC East’s commitment to the community and its health, a partnership has been developed with Monroeville Mall to offer a walking program to eastern suburb residents that can help them get moving and support a more heart-healthy lifestyle.
BENEFITS OF WALKING:
- Benefits to your health and wellness can be greatly increased by regular exercise, including walking, which:
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- Is a good way to help manage weight
- Increases the rate of calorie burning (metabolism)
- Increases energy level
- Improves sleep
- Prevents the loss of muscle mass during weight reduction
- Reduces risk of certain chronic diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes
- Improves bone density
- Improves self-esteem and sense of control
DID YOU KNOW?
- One mile is about 2,000 steps, or a 20-minute walk
- In a lifetime, most people walk about 65,000 miles – that’s three times around the Earth!
- A typical pair of walking shoes lasts about 500 miles
- An average city block is equivalent to 200 steps
- The average human walking speed is about 3.1 miles per hour, or 5.0 kilometers per hour
WHO: All levels of walking participation are welcome
WHEN: 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 12
WHERE: Monroeville Mall
, Lower Level (inside the Food Court), 200 Mall Circle Dr., Monroeville, Pa., 15146