UPMC Hospitals Earn Top Quality Recognition from The Joint Commission
PITTSBURGH, Nov. 4, 2013
– Six UPMC hospitals were named Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission
, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America. UPMC Bedford Memorial, UPMC Horizon, UPMC McKeesport, UPMC Mercy, UPMC Northwest and UPMC Passavant were recognized by The Joint Commission for exemplary performance in using evidence-based clinical processes that are shown to improve care for certain conditions.
There are 1,099 hospitals, or nearly half of The Joint Commission accredited hospitals in the nation, earning this distinction for attaining and sustaining excellence in accountability measures performance. The hospitals are recognized for their achievement on the following measure sets:
- UPMC Bedford Memorial – Pneumonia, Surgical Care
- UPMC Horizon – Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, Surgical Care
- UPMC McKeesport - Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, Surgical Care
- UPMC Mercy - Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, Surgical Care
- UPMC Northwest – Heart Attack, Pneumonia, Surgical Care
- UPMC Passavant - Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, Surgical Care
The ratings are based on an aggregation of accountability measures reported to The Joint Commission during the 2012 calendar year. Each measure represents an evidence-based practice, such as giving aspirin at arrival for heart attack patients and giving antibiotics one hour before surgery.
“This prestigious award, received for a second time, is testament to the commitment and dedication of the staff at UPMC Bedford Memorial to the provision of outstanding clinical care to the residents of Bedford County,” said Roger Winn, president, UPMC Bedford Memorial
“UPMC and all the Top Performer hospitals have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to quality improvement and they should be proud of their achievement,” says Mark R. Chassin, M.D., F.A.C.P., M.P.P., M.P.H., president and chief executive officer, The Joint Commission. “We have much to celebrate this year. Nearly half of our accredited hospitals have attained or nearly attained the Top Performer distinction. This truly shows that we are approaching a tipping point in hospital quality performance that will directly contribute to better health outcomes for patients.”