UPMC Jameson President Doug Danko Announces Retirement
UPMC Horizon President Don Owrey to Become President of Both UPMC Jameson and UPMC Horizon
NEW CASTLE, Pa., March 28, 2017
– UPMC Jameson
President Doug Danko today announced that he will retire this summer after 42 years of service to the hospital. Don Owrey, president at UPMC Horizon
since 2009, will step into the role of president of both UPMC Jameson and UPMC Horizon on July 1. Danko will assist in the executive transition until his retirement on June 30.
“It’s been 11 months since Jameson became UPMC Jameson,” says Doug Danko, president, UPMC Jameson. “Don and I have worked closely with our teams to develop a regional model to improve health care delivery in our communities. I’m confident Don will continue to build upon this exciting momentum extending the reach of UPMC’s innovations and expertise into Lawrence and Mercer counties.”
Doug began his career at Jameson as a respiratory therapist. He advanced through the organization to become vice president of Professional Services, chief operations officer, and president in 2008.
During his tenure as president, Doug guided Jameson through its most challenging points in history and has led pivotal achievements to secure a strong future for the community:
• Successfully ushering in Jameson’s merger with UPMC—never wavering from the goal to serve the highest interests of Jameson’s patients and employees.
• Leading the strategic vision to expand and improve Jameson’s main campus in 2013 with a $22 million surgical and emergency wing that has positioned the hospital for the growth its experiencing today as the region’s acute care hub.
• Cultivating an active community-led board of directors engaged to drive continual improvements for local health care delivery.
• Facilitating the UPMC integration strategy for effective physician recruitment, program and services development, facilities improvements, and technology advancements at Jameson.
• Serving as an active community leader on several boards of directors, highly regarded and valued throughout the region.
“Doug Danko created a legacy to advance local health care delivery,” says Leslie Davis, UPMC senior vice president, and executive vice president and chief operating officer, UPMC Health Services Division. “His perseverance made a powerful impact, and Don Owrey is well-positioned to build upon the exciting progress unfolding at UPMC Horizon and UPMC Jameson.”
Don Owrey joined UPMC Horizon in June 2008 as vice president, Clinical Support Services, and became president in 2009. As president, he has overseen the continued expansion of services at Horizon’s Greenville and Shenango Valley campuses.
Prior to joining Horizon, Don served as executive director for Children’s Community Pediatrics, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, and has served in various capacities within UPMC at UPMC Health Plan and within the Physician Services Division.
Don is active in the community, having served on boards including UPMC Northwest, Thiel College, Grove City Area United Way, Grove City Area School District, American Heart Association, Penn Northwest Development Corporation, and the Shenango Valley Chamber of Commerce.
“It’s been my honor to serve as UPMC Horizon’s president these past eight years—witnessing the advancements over the years has been truly fulfilling,” says Owrey. “I’m excited for the future that our talented medical staff and dedicated employees of UPMC Jameson and UPMC Horizon will create for our region, working collaboratively to advance care for our patients.”