Walking with a Cane
Follow the steps below when you walk with a cane.
Step 1: Hold the cane in the hand opposite your injured or weaker leg.
Step 2: Move the cane and step with your weaker leg at the same time. Keep the cane close to your body for support and balance.
Step 3: Support your weight on your cane and your weaker leg. Step up to (or through) with the uninjured or stronger leg.
Step 4: Continue to repeat steps 1 through 3.
Below are helpful tips for walking safely with a cane.
- Do not take a step unless your cane is firmly on the ground.
- Do not place your cane too far forward. Your cane should be directly across from the instep of your weaker foot.
- Do not take steps that are too big.
- When turning, take small steps and do not pivot.
- Check your cane tip regularly. Replace it when it is worn. You can buy new tips from a drug store or durable medical supply company.
- Be careful when you walk on uneven or wet surfaces.
- Use good posture when walking.
- If you use a cane for balance reasons only, you can hold it in either hand.
Revised January 2011