Walking With Crutches: 3-Point Sequence
General directions for walking with crutches
- Place the crutches under your arms. Squeeze them to the sides of your body.
- Move the crutches 6 to 12 inches ahead. They should be slightly away from your body.
- Push down on the hand grips. Step past the crutches.
- Support your weight with your hands and not under your arms.
- Check your balance before you go on.
|1. Stand in the middle of your crutches.
||2. Place crutches in front of you. They should be a comfortable arm’s length away. |
|3. Push down on the hand grips. Step forward to the crutches with your weaker leg.
||4. Step past the crutches with your stronger leg.|
Repeat the same sequence:
- Place crutches forward.
- Step with weaker leg.
- Step with stronger leg.
Tips for walking with crutches
- Carry items in a backpack.
- Do not hang or lean on your crutches. Support all your weight on your hands, not under your arms
- Maintain good posture when walking.
- Wear shoes that fit well, support your feet, and are comfortable.
- Be careful when walking on uneven or wet surfaces.
- Walk at a safe, comfortable pace.
Your therapist may show you different ways to move safely, depending on your situation or environment.