Information for Families and Visitors at UPMC Shadyside
Our goal is to make sure your visit at UPMC Shadyside is as stress-free as possible.
If you can't find what you're looking for, or you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 412-623-2121.
What to Expect During Your Visit
There are many resources available to you during your visit to UPMC Shadyside, including:
Visiting Hours at UPMC Shadyside
Shadyside has 24-hour open visitation. After 9 p.m., visitors need to go to security to enter the hospital.
Visiting hours in the Intensive Care Units (ICUs) are flexible, based on your loved one's condition. The ICUs ask guests to go to the waiting lounge during shift changes. Shift times vary.
Please call the ICU for more detailed information before you visit.
Please talk to the care team to see if flowers are allowed in your loved one's room.
We allow Mylar balloons, but do not permit latex balloons.
Please check with the nurse before offering a patient anything to eat or drink.
Children visiting UPMC Shadyside
- We discourage children under the age of 12 from visiting to avoid exposure to infection.
- An adult must be with children under the age of 12 at all times. This rule applies in all rooms, lobbies, hallways, public restrooms, and the cafeteria.
- During flu season, UPMC Shadyside restricts children under 13 years of age to visit the hospital.
To prevent infection
- People who are coughing, sneezing, or ill should not visit.
- Please cover coughs or sneezes with your arm.
- Wash your hands upon entering and leaving patient rooms.
- Please do not use patient restrooms unless your loved one has a private room and gives consent.
- When isolation is called for, visitors must take all isolation precautions as the doctor or nurse directs.
Sometimes we may ask visitors to leave
We may ask you to leave the patient's room if:
- The doctor or nurse needs to examine the patient.
- The patient's condition has changed and requires care by a doctor or nurse.
- The patient or care team member asks to be left alone.
UPMC Shadyside may impose reasonable, clinically necessary restrictions or limitations on visitation based on the following:
- Any court order limiting or restraining contact.
- Behavior presenting a direct risk or threat to the patient, hospital staff, or others in the immediate environment, including threatening or violent behavior.
- Behavior disruptive of the functioning of the patient care unit.
- Visitation that may interfere with the care of other patients. This includes reasonable limits on the number of guests at any one time. (The reason for restricted visitation may include patient confidentiality, frequent care needs of patients, and the risk of increased stimulation adversely affecting some patients.)
- Patient's need or request for privacy or rest.
- Patient's risk of infection by the visitor.
- Visitor's risk of infection by the patient.
- Extraordinary protections because of a pandemic or infectious disease outbreak.
During flu season, UPMC Shadyside may place further restrictions on visitors. Call the hospital for details before you visit.
Information Desks and Phones
Helpful staff are available at 3 information desks throughout UPMC
Shadyside to assist patients and their families with any questions or
needs. Each information desk also has a courtesy phone available to
patients and families.
Information desks are located at:
- First floor of the East Wing (follow the blue signs)
- First floor of the Medical Center (follow the green signs)
- First floor of Posner Tower (follow the yellow signs)
For additional assistance, you can call the information desks:
- East Wing: 412-623-6730
- Shadyside Medical Building (West Wing): 412-623-6168
- Posner Tower: 412-623-2023
Free Shuttle Service at UPMC Shadyside
Free shuttle service is available for patients and visitors.
The Blue Shuttle serves:
Shuttle service times may vary.
For a shuttle schedule, stop by or call one of the Information Desks in the first floor lobbies of:
- Posner Tower — 412-647-3194
- East Wing — 412-647-3194
- Shadyside Medical Building — 412-623-6168