Health Care Reform: We Have the Plan
UPMC Health Plan has created a website to provide information to help you learn how health care reform may affect you and your family.
The formal name for health care reform is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA or ACA). Signed into law in March 2010, the ACA made broad changes to the way health insurance will be provided and paid for in the United States.
Several important reforms have been adopted since then. Extended coverage for dependents, full coverage for preventive care, and plain-language coverage explanations were all prompted by the ACA.
In 2014, more parts of the ACA will go into effect, including the Health Insurance Marketplace (Marketplace) designed to help you find health insurance that fits your budget. According to the ACA:
- Marketplaces must be operational for open enrollment by October 2013.
- Each Marketplace will have Navigators to help people enroll.
- Marketplace plans will be presented in only four categories (platinum, gold, silver, and bronze) help consumers compare plans from different providers.
Health Care Reform And You
Health care reform will affect nearly everyone. The question most people are asking is how health care reform will impact them personally. To help you better understand changes related to the ACA and the resulting effect on health insurance, UPMC Health Plan created an informative website.
The consumer-friendly site offers unbiased information about Marketplaces and other elements of health care reform to a wide range of people, including:
- Individuals and family members who want to learn more
- Health care providers treating patients in this new environment
- Employers looking for coverage for their employees
- Producers who sell insurance plans to companies and individuals
- Marketplace Navigators who are responsible for providing impartial advice on how to choose among competing plans
On the website, you will find the answers to basic questions, such as:
- Who can get health insurance?
- What will be covered?
- Where can I shop for insurance?
- When will changes happen?
- What financial assistance is available?
UPMC Health Plan’s website and support staff are committed to providing an unbiased forum in order to make health care reform easier to understand and to explain what changes can be expected as our nation continues to implement the ACA.