ORBERA® Gastric Balloon
For individuals interested in bariatric surgery alternatives, Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC is the first hospital in Pennsylvania to offer the ORBERA® gastric balloon. ORBERA is a noninvasive procedure that assists adult patients in losing and maintaining weight.
Gastric Balloon Procedure: What to Expect
Your bariatric surgeon will insert the ORBERA balloon into your stomach by a nonsurgical procedure. Once placed, the balloon is filled with saline until roughly the size of a melon.
The balloon helps you lose weight by reinforcing portion control and keeping you feeling full after meals. After six months, the balloon is removed.
Learn more about the ORBERA procedure offered at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.
Benefits of ORBERA Gastric Balloon
OBERA gastric balloon is a non-invasive weight loss procedure. Patients are placed under general aesthesia before the balloon insertion and the procedure typically takes only 30 minutes. Patients can then go home the same day.
Other benefits of gastric balloon include:
- OBERA gastric balloon weight loss is on average three times greater than that of diet and exercise alone.
- The gastric balloon is a temporary option, offering support while you begin to lose weight and become more active.
- Weight loss with gastric balloon helps patients combat obesity-related illness, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
Gastric Balloon Side Effects
During the first few weeks following your balloon insertion you may experience gastric balloon side effects such as:
- Stomach cramps
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach bloat
Gastric Balloon Risks and Complications
Gastric balloon complications are rare, but include:
- Damage to the esophagus or stomach, as well as bleeding or ulcers.
- Infection due to bacterial growth within the balloon.
- Intestinal obstruction caused by balloon leaking.
Gastric Balloon Removal
After six months, your balloon will be deflated and removed. This process does not require surgery or incisions. You’ll receive counseling for several months following the removal of your gastric balloon to help support you in your weight loss journey.
ORBERA® is a trademark of Apollo Endosurgery, Inc.