About UPMC Addiction Medicine Services
UPMC Addiction Medicine Services (AMS) of Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic — part of UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside — offers comprehensive and integrated services for people with substance use problems and a wide range of evidence-based trainings for health care practitioners.
AMS is first in our region in providing evidence-based treatments of substance use and co-occurring disorders in all our inpatient and outpatient programs. AMS has considerably expanded access to treatment and services for people with opioid use disorders.
We are proud to be a Center of Excellence for opioid use disorders, providing peer support, coordination of care, and linkage to treatment for people with opioid use disorders.
Our services include:
- Clinical trials
- Quality improvement projects
- Adolescent screening and assessment
Our interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, and therapists provides treatment for adolescents, young adults, and adults. We involve families and concerned significant others in the treatment plan.
Our Mission at UPMC Addiction Medicine Services
Our mission is to provide compassionate care for people whose substance use and mental health disorders are negatively impacting their lives and the lives of their families.
Quality Initiatives to Improve Addiction Services
AMC conducts quality initiatives to assess and improve services.
Our recent efforts include:
- Using patient input to assist with barriers to treatment and challenges of recovery
- Practicing a person-centered philosophy of care to collaborate with people to achieve their change goals
- Collaborating with medical care providers to assist with wellness goals
- Employing peer specialists, or people with lived experience, to help people navigate their path of recovery