Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinical Trials
The UPMC Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Center is involved in several clinical trials and registries in the areas of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Current research projects open to patient participation include:
- Use of stem cells as a new treatment for patients with Crohn's disease who have failed conventional therapies
- The use of methotrexate, an immunosuppressive medication, for the treatment of patients with ulcerative colitis
- A study of a new enema therapy for patients with left-sided ulcerative colitis
New studies are often added, so continue to check this page for additional opportunities.
Jason Swoger, MD, MPH, co-director of IBD Clinical Trials, assistant professor of gastroenterology, and associate program director, UPMC Gastroenterology Fellowship Program
Dr. Swoger's training includes:
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology from Georgetown University
- Master's of Public Health degree at University of Illinois at Chicago
- Medical degree at Eastern Virginia Medical School
He completed his residency in internal medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and his gastroenterology fellowship training was completed at the Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, MN.
He is a member of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) research alliance and the CCFA patient education committee.
Dr. Swoger sees patients at the UPMC Digestive Disorders Center at UPMC Presbyterian, UPMC Horizon, and the UPMC Surgery Center at Daugherty Drive in Monroeville.
Miguel Regueiro, MD, co-director and clinical head, UMPC IBD Center, co-director of IBD Clinical Trials, associate chief for education, and professor of medicine
Dr. Regueiro's training includes:
- Bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania
- Medical degree from Hahnemann University in Philadelphia.
He completed both his medical residency training and his gastroenterology fellowship training at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston.
He chairs the CCFA professional education committee.
Dr. Regueiro sees patients at the UPMC Digestive Disorders Center at UPMC Presbyterian.
Additional Research Staff:
- Jana Al Hashash, MD
- Leonard K. Baidoo, MD
- Arthur M. Barrie III, MD, PhD
- David G. Binion, MD
- Richard Duerr, MD
- Marc Schwartz, MD
- Kimberly Goldby-Reffner, RN, BS, CCRC