Treatment Options at the Center for Balance Disorders
Since there are many different causes of a balance disorder, there are many different treatment options.
At the UPMC Center for Balance Disorders, we can help you overcome your balance problem through:
- Diet changes
- Physical therapy
- Surgery (not a frequent treatment option)
Managing Symptoms of Balance Disorders
Helping to control your symptoms is sometimes part of the treatment process for balance disorders.
When attempting to manage your balance disorder symptoms, please keep the following in mind:
- Not all balance disorders cause the same dizziness symptoms and intensities.
- Problems in the inner ear or the brain can cause balance disorder symptoms. It's important to seek a doctor’s assistance for a proper diagnosis.
- Try to live as normal a life as possible.
- Avoid stressful situations — stress can add to dizziness symptoms.
- Avoid walking on uneven surfaces in the dark.
- Medication for dizziness can help in some cases, but not always. Do not take any medication before consulting a doctor.
- Physical therapy can help some dizziness and balance problems.
Learn More About Balance Disorders and Their Treatments
The links below will open a new browser window.