Head and Neck Cancer Research
The UPMC Department of Otolaryngology is the home of the Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grant in Head and Neck Cancer at the University of Pittsburgh.
Funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI-NIH), this collaborative grant provides money for multiple laboratories involved in biomedical head and neck cancer research.
» Learn more about the NCI's SPORE grants.
Cancer Vaccines and Tests
Other ongoing research projects at the UPMC Division of Head and Neck Cancer include:
- Research on a cancer vaccine against the p53 tumor suppressor.
- A preliminary research investigation seeking to develop a new vaccine for patients with carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynx.
- A new study evaluating an intraoperative test using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to identify — in 30 minutes — the spread of cancer into the neck lymph nodes.
- Studies, funded by the National Institutes of Health, directed at better understanding biologic signaling in cancer cells.
- A major effort to develop study on the care of thyroid cancer also is underway.
The division basis its research efforts on the guiding principal that the findings of today may lead to new knowledge and improved patient care.
Patient Participation in Head and Neck Cancer Research
All of the patients undergoing head and neck cancer treatment at UPMC have the opportunity to participate in clinical outcomes research.
We carefully track important treatment and outcomes data of consenting patients in the head and neck tumor registry. This database allows the physicians at UPMC to obtain vital treatment-related outcomes information about their patients.
Funding for this form of practiced-based learning is through private philanthropy thanks to the Stout Family Fund for Head and Neck Cancer Research. This will assure that future generations can benefit from the experiences of today’s patients.
Contact the UPMC Division of Head and Neck Cancer
To schedule an appointment with a UPMC head and neck cancer specialist, or to learn more about our research, please call 412-647-2100.
Address and Directions
University Ear, Nose & Throat Specialists (Oakland)
203 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213