Prevention Tips and Risk Factors for Head and Neck Cancers
Anyone can get head and neck cancer. But knowing prevention and risk factors can help reduce your chances of acquiring these types of cancers.
Reducing head and neck cancer risks requires lifestyle changes, such as:
- A healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Eliminating tobacco and alcohol use
Talk to your doctor about ways to improve your health and reduce cancer risks.
Risk Factors for Head and Neck Cancers
There are several risk factors that can increase your chances of getting head and neck cancers.
- Environmental risk factors
- Behavioral risk factors
- Genetic (predisposed traits) risks
- Exposure to known carcinogens, such as industrial toxins (asbestos and benzenes)
- Repeated exposure to chemicals in tobacco and tobacco smoke
- Tobacco use
- Secondhand smoke
- Alcohol use
- Predisposed to inheriting gene mutations from parents
Make an Appointment at the UPMC Division of Head and Neck Cancer
To schedule an appointment with a UPMC head and neck cancer specialist, or to learn more about our treatments and services, please call 412-647-2100.
Address and Directions
University Ear, Nose & Throat Specialists (Oakland)
203 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213