Health Assistance Program for Personnel in Industry (HAPPI)
In 1983, the St. Francis Sisters of Charity and the St. Francis Health System started the Health Assistance Program for Personnel and Industry (HAPPI) to provide occupational health services to the business communities served by their hospitals.
More than 30 years and 1400 clients later, HAPPI’s comprehensive services and affiliation with the UPMC Health System are a valuable resource to employers committed to their most valuable asset — human capital.
Our position within the division of Emergency Resource Management, Inc. (ERMI) — one of Pennsylvania's largest physician groups — and our network of UPMC Urgent Care facilities allows us to extend our range of clinical services to regional businesses.
Simply stated, HAPPI’s mission is to serve our regional employer-clients’ health, safety, and wellness initiatives with the most innovative and value-driven occupational health services available.
We focus on the health of your workers, including:
- Their ability to perform work.
- Physical, chemical, biological, and social environments of the workplace.
- Health outcomes of environmental exposures.
From workers' compensation to OSHA, ADA, and DOT compliance, your employees are in the best-qualified hands.
About HAPPI's Medical Director
Louise Banks, MD, received her medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh and completed a residency in internal medicine at Allegheny General Hospital.
She later completed a residency in occupational and environmental medicine at the University of Pittsburgh, earning a master's degree in public health.
Dr. Banks has:
- Board certifications in both occupational health and internal medicine.
- Medical review officer certification, allowing her to provide medical oversight and direction for drug and alcohol testing at HAPPI and UPMC Urgent Care centers.
- National medical examiner certification under U.S. Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration guidelines to provide DOT medical exams.
With over 12 years’ of experience partnering with both local and fortune 500 companies, Dr. Banks’ broad knowledge base provides a resource to employers. She's always available to meet with clients to discuss specific patients, injury prevention strategies, and conduct work site tours.
For information about setting up a meeting with Dr. Banks, contact HAPPI at