Academic Partners of the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute
Our partners at the University of Pittsburgh contribute to the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute's ranking as one of the top rehabilitation programs in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
The institute's partners also help prepare our future rehabilitation specialists through a variety of academic programs.
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Visit the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation to learn more.
The Department of Communication Science and Disorders
- Considered among the best in the country by U.S. News & World Report:
- Top 10 speech-language pathology programs
- Top 15 programs in audiology
- The only clinical doctoral degree in the world for medical speech-language pathology
- One of the largest and most productive research doctoral degree programs in the United States
Visit the Department of Communication Science and Disorders to learn more.
The Department of Physical Therapy
- Ranked second in the country by U.S. News & World Report
- Nationally and internationally recognized faculty
- Prides itself on innovative clinical education
Visit the Department of Physical Therapy to learn more.
The Department of Occupational Therapy
- Ranked among the best by U.S. News & World Report
- Has seen a 100 percent pass rate on the certification examination of the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy
- Nationally and internationally recognized faculty for expertise in:
- Hand therapy
- Industrial rehabilitation
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Occupation-based practice
- Funded research programs examining functional outcomes and rehabilitation interventions in:
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Cardiac arrest
- Late-life depression
Visit the Department of Occupational Therapy to learn more.
The Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Technology
- Active research programs in:
- Rehabilitation engineering
- Rehabilitation counseling
- Assistive technology
- Rehabilitation science
- Standards development and outcomes measures
- Faculty prepares students to be innovators
- Advanced degrees and continuing education in rehabilitation science and technology
Visit the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Technology to learn more.
The Department of Neurology
- Ranked among the nation’s best programs by U.S. News & World Report
- One of the nation’s leading neurologic research and training programs
- General neurology
- Headache Center
- Epilepsy Center
- Movement Disorder Clinic
- Neuroimmunology/Multiple Sclerosis Division
- Neuromuscular Disease Center
- UPMC Stroke Institute
- Division of Pediatric Neurology
Visit the Department of Neurology to learn more.
The Department of Neurosurgery
- Ranked among the nation’s best programs neurosurgical and neurological care by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked among the highest in the country in National Institutes of Health funding
- Brain and skull base treatment
- Spine treatment
Visit the Department of Neurosurgery to learn more.
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Tied for #10 in the nation for orthopaedic excellence by U.S. News & World Report
- One of the nation’s highest-funded orthopaedic research departments, with access to ongoing clinical trials
- Award-winning faculty with national reputations
- General Orthopaedics
- Hand, Elbow, and Shoulder Surgery
- Joint Replacement
- Musculoskeletal Oncology (Bone cancer and tumors)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery through UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Spine Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Trauma and Fracture Care
- UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program
Visit the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery to learn more.