Athletic Training and Development Services
On this page:
Our Athletic Training Program Services
What is an athletic trainer (AT)?
ATs are health care professionals that work with doctors to diagnose and treat sports injuries and other health problems.
Our athletic trainers also provide:
The National Athletic Trainers Association and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania certify UPMC Sports Medicine's more than 100 ATs.
About the athletic training program at UPMC Sports Medicine
Our ATs work with over 60 high schools, colleges, and pro sports teams throughout western Pennsylvania.
Our athletic training program offers:
- Fast-track appointments for contracted schools: 1-855-93-SPORT (77678).
- Health care services at home and away practices, events, and games.
- On-site weight assessments and tips for wrestling programs.
- Guidance on pre-season, in-season, and off-season conditioning programs.
- ImPACT® concussion testing.
- ACL prevention and screening programs.
- On-site, sport-specific education programs for student athletes, parents, and coaches.
- Sport-specific training camps and clinics.
- Annual sports medicine student aide workshop.
- Medical coverage, lectures, and injury prevention screenings for performing arts groups.
Back to top
Other Athletic Training Services
UPMC Sports Medicine athletic trainers (ATs) and doctors provide medical coverage for all types of community sports events.
Our athletic trainerss also provide outreach programs, such as:
- Continuing education events
We offer these athletic development programs to:
- School administrators
- The public
Seasonal Saturday Injury Clinic
During the fall, UPMC Sports Medicine ATs and other experts provide free sports injury evaluations.
To schedule an appointment for a free Saturday morning sports injury clinic, call 412-432-3775 or visit the Saturday Injury Clinic page for more details.
At the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program, our ATs conduct baseline concussion testing for college, high school, and recreational athletes.
We use special testing software — known as ImPACT® — designed by UPMC Sports Medicine experts.
To learn more about concussion testing, call 1-855-93- SPORT (77678).
Official medical sponsorships
UPMC Sports Medicine Athletic Training and Development sponsors the following:
The Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship program
Dr. Freddie Fu created this scholarship program to increase student interest in sports medicine careers.
We award one scholarship of two thousand dollars ($2,000).
In return, the winner interns for six weeks during the summer at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex. The selected intern will perform duties much like those of a Physical Therapy Aide.
Learn more about the Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship program.
Back to top
UPMC Sports Medicine Athletic Training and Development Management Team
- Kathleen Nachazel, ATC
Director, Athletic Training and Development
- David Tumbas, MS, ATC
Manager, Business Development
To make an appointment or learn more about our athletic training services, call UPMC Sports Medicine at 1-855-93-SPORT (77678).
Back to top