Sports Performance and Fitness Programs
At UPMC Sports Medicine, our sports performance and fitness programs strive to enhance human movement and correct imbalances in sports and life.
From movement assessments to sport-specific training, we have the right program to help both individuals and teams improve their athletic skills.
Functional movement assessment
UPMC Sports Performance experts believe an in-depth functional movement assessment (FMA) can help find problems that are keeping athletes from reaching their peak. Then, we can provide ways to increase athletic performance.
The FMA consists of:
- Flexibility and strength testing.
- A sports performance evaluation of core strength.
- A biomechanical analysis.
We use the data from the FMA to create a safe, scientifically based strength and conditioning program that fits each athlete's unique needs.
We also offer:
- Gait assessments.
- Body fat analysis.
- VO2 max estimation using a state-of-the-art computer program.
- Sport-specific video to analyze movement patterns.
- Body map analysis using photos to provide an accurate exercise prescription.
UPMC Sports Performance can help you reach your fitness goals.
Our fitness program consists of exercises to:
- Improve flexibility
- Increase strength
- Improve power output
- Decrease ground contact time
- Increase speed/agility
- Increase core strength
- Prevent injuries
Types of fitness and sports performance programs we offer
One-on-one or group sports performance training and conditioning
Our scientifically based program will help you:
- Decrease ground reaction time.
- Increase strength and the rate of force production.
- Improve flexibility and core strength.
Our experts can custom-build a team training program to help with:
- Pre-season conditioning.
- In-season conditioning and strength training.
- Off-season training and conditioning.
|We offer athletic training to help you prepare for any professional combine or pre-draft camp and be on top of your game when it matters most.|
|Our yearly sports camps focus on teaching athletes how to get ready for their upcoming season. |
ACL injury prevention program
This helps our experts identify predisposing imbalances that place an athlete at risk for ACL injury and serves:
- Athletes who are at least four months out of ACL reconstruction surgery.
- Prepubescent athletes who have ruptured their ACL but are too young to have surgery.
- Adults who have elected not to have surgery to repair a torn ACL.
- Athletes who want to reduce their risk of ACL injury.
Education Programs for Teachers and Coaches
Functional training and injury prevention for physical education (PE) teachers
Our sports performance experts show PE teachers how to add the following into their PE classes:
- Sports performance
- Injury prevention
- Sports nutrition
- Functional training
Education courses for coaches who teach exercise techniques and exercise selections
This program helps coaches work strength and conditioning programs into practices. It also provides advanced flexibility and injury prevention methods.
Sports Performance Locations and Experts
The UPMC Sports Performance Program has two full-service locations:
Our sports performance experts:
- Ron DeAngelo, M.Ed., CSCS
- Colleen Rosensteel, MESS, CSCS
- Lily Fedlman, CSCS