About the Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Center
At the Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Center (IRTC), located in Pittsburgh, Pa., our main goal is to improve the lives of people with intestinal failure.
Historically, our intestinal transplant outcomes have been above national averages. Most of our patients enjoy normal, oral diets and a better quality of life than before transplant.
Intestinal Transplant Highlights
- UPMC has performed more than 500 intestinal and multivisceral transplants on both adults and children — over 25 percent of the worldwide total.
- Our team developed and standardized many of the procedures that transplant centers around the world currently use.
Patient-focused Intestinal Care
In addition to providing state-of-the-art treatments and performing complex intestinal procedures, we:
- Take pride in keeping the lines of communication open with patients, their families, and referring physicians regarding status, procedures, treatments, and follow-up care.
- Maintain a personal, patient-focused approach, taking into consideration the stress and concerns many individuals experience throughout the evaluation, operation, and recovery period.
- Use a multidisciplinary team approach, collaborating with many ancillary services at UPMC to provide our patients with the highest quality medical and social support.