How to Refer Your Patient for Intestinal Transplant
To refer your patient to the UPMC Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Center (IRTC) in Pittsburgh, Pa., you'll need the following information:
- Your patient's demographic information
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Phone number
- Emergency contacts
- Your patient's health insurance information
- The original diagnosis, including history of medical care and tests
- Reports of previous transplant evaluations
- Inpatient/outpatient records
- Radiology and pathology reports
- Lab reports
Steps for Making a Referral to the IRTC
Once you have your patient's demographic, insurance, and medical information, follow these steps for referral:
Mail, fax, or email all related information and medical records regarding your patient's case.
- Contact us to speak with a clinician.
Mailing address: UPMC Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute
Attn: UPMC Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Center
UPMC Montefiore, 7 South
3459 Fifth Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Expect someone from our office to follow up with you, after receiving medical records and financial clearance, to schedule your patient's initial intestinal transplant evaluation.
When necessary, our team can offer a “fast track” process for referrals to the IRTC, which includes:
- Scheduling an evaluation appointment within 72 hours of insurance authorization.
- Facilitating the transfer of patients who are in acute organ failure.
Our dedicated transplant critical care team has expertise in medically managing these patients with life-sustaining measures.