Liver Transplant Program
At least 30 million Americans have some form of liver disease. And each year, doctors diagnose about 21,000 new cases of primary liver cancer.
If you're living with a chronic liver disease or liver cancer, you have hope at UPMC’s Liver Transplant Program of the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute.
The philosophy of our program is to provide liver transplant services to all who will benefit, including those that other transplant centers deem high-risk or unfit for transplant.
Our Liver Treatment and Transplant Services
The UPMC Liver Transplant Program is part of the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute. This combined effort provides you with a multidisciplinary, team-based approach to your care.
Treatment options for adults who have liver diseases or malignancies include:
- Liver transplantation
- Liver resection for cancer
- Bile duct reconstruction
- Surgical and nonsurgical methods to reduce portal hypertension and variceal bleeding
The Liver Transplant Process: What to Expect
Our program accepts self-referrals and physician referrals. What happens after your doctor refers you to UPMC's Liver Transplant Program?
- Our team will review your medical history to see if you might be a good liver transplant candidate.
- If we think you are a good candidate and your insurance has been approved, we'll contact you to schedule a liver transplant evaluation. You'll have various tests and meet with a number of experts from the liver transplant team.
- Then, a multidisciplinary team will review your case and decide if a liver transplant is your best treatment option. We'll inform you of our decision within one week after your evaluation.
Why Choose UPMC's Liver Transplant Program?
- Our program is one of the oldest and largest in the United States.
- Since the program's inception in 1981, more than 6,000 adults have received liver transplants.
From the early years when Dr. Starzl pioneered a new field of surgery to more recent breakthroughs in immunosuppressive therapies, this progress has given hope to thousands of people with liver disease.
Meet some people who chose UPMC for liver transplant.
Learn More About Liver Transplant and Organ Donation
The links below will open a new browser window.