The Transplant Process: Review and Evaluation
At the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, your liver transplant team will guide you through every step of the process.
Patient Information Review
After the UPMC liver transplant team receives your medical records and information:
- A pretransplant nurse coordinator will collect and coordinate your outside medical, demographic, and financial information.
- The liver transplant team will review the information to determine if a transplant evaluation is appropriate.
- If a transplant evaluation is appropriate, we will obtain insurance authorization and contact you to schedule the evaluation.
Evaluations for liver transplant are based on your medical condition. Evaluations may include some/all of the following diagnostic tests and consultations:
- Transplant surgeons
- Transplant hepatologists
- Transplant nurse coordinators
- Social workers
- Financial coordinators
- Radiology testing
- Cardiac testing
- Comprehensive blood work
- Other tests and specialists as needed
After the Evaluation: Selecting Transplant Candidates
A multidisciplinary team reviews each patient’s case at a selection meeting and makes decisions regarding approval of liver transplant candidates. We will notify you of our decision within one week of the committee’s decision.
For those patients not approved for liver transplantation, our transplant team can refer them to the UPMC Center for Liver Diseases where our expert liver specialists can provide medical therapy and additional treatment options.