Year One Opportunities: Core Functional Rotations
The UPMC International administrative fellow will primarily spend the first year of the program rotating through the Health Services Division at UPMC facilities in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to shadow the hospitals’ executive teams and gain observational and practical experience within operations and administration.
Additionally, the fellow will gain experience through UPMC International division located at US Steel Tower, to learn more about international health care administration and the foundation of UPMC’s on a regional and global scale. Each of these campuses maintains a distinct personality and purpose within the UPMC organization and maintains a vital role in the communities it serves.
Throughout the first year, the fellow will complete formalized rotations with an assigned executive mentor per rotation. Rotations will primarily involve shadowing key executive and management teams, with supplemental project work as appropriate. Rotations will focus in each of the following areas:
- Clinical Operations
- Human Resources
- International Clinical Operations
- International Training Center
Fellows will be given exposure to the international equivalent of each of the core focus areas, facilitating a smooth transition to international exposure in year two.
The fellow will also be assigned a service line to provide an opportunity for a longitudinal focus during the first year.
Examples of service lines International Services Division fellows may work on include:
- Surgical Services Oversight Committee
Examples of projects, roles, etc. that fellows may experience include:
- Financial Analysis and Planning Projects
- Nursing Education Initiatives
- Patient Experience Initiatives
- Quality and Process Improvement
- Human Resources – Culture, Recruitment and Retention Initiatives
- Physician Relations and Productivity based Incentive Plans
- Community Outreach Development
- Facility Design and Management (Logistics)
- Surgical Services Oversight Committee (throughput, efficiency, outcomes, and quality)
- Cardiovascular Services
- The Joint Commission, Joint Commission International and Regulatory Reviews
- Telemedicine and New Models of Care
Examples of first year externships include:
- UPMC Hamot
- UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside
- UPMC in Central Pa.
- UPMC Susquehanna
- UPMC Enterprises
- The UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Office
- Championing various projects with senior leadership