For more information about UPMC's Healthy Lifestyle Program, call 800-533-UPMC (8762).
Or, e-mail Dr. Bruce Rabin, Director, Healthy Lifestyle Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I practice progressive relaxation?
You can practice progressive relaxation in a chair or lying down.
- Flex each muscle group for 10 seconds then relax for about 30 seconds.
- When you release the tension, let it go instantly; let your muscles become suddenly limp. Releasing too slowly actually requires sustained tension.
- Repeat this process up to five times per muscle group, especially if the muscles you are tensing are tight and rigid.
Tips for progressive muscle relaxation:
- When you tighten your muscles, be careful not to over do it. This can result in muscle cramping and pain.
- Avoid any movement that causes you pain.
- You may experience deeper relaxation by removing your shoes (and glasses, if you wear them) and wearing loose clothing (no belts or clothes that constrict your body).