Concussion Treatment and Rehabilitation
Our concussion treatment team:
- May prescribe physical therapy or use behavioral management methods to treat concussion symptoms.
- May refer you for a medication consult to help treat chronic symptoms. Not all concussion cases require medicine. It may be useful in complex cases.
- Will re-examine you often to promote successful rehabilitation.
The neurovestibular experts at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program:
- Test for, and treat, balance and vision problems that may occur with concussions.
- Work with UPMC physical therapists to begin vestibular therapy.
- Use methods that help retrain the brain to discern space, motion, and head/eye movements.
- Use training exercises that focus on visual motion sensitivities and motor skills, and balance.
The exertion training therapists at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program aim to:
- Reintroduce the vestibular system to activity in a careful and precise way.
- Adjust the prescribed routine according to your progress.
- Safely increase heart rate through:
- Cardiovascular exercise.
- Strength training.
- Agility drills.
- Dynamic and functional movements.
- Sport-specific training.
Based on your concussion symptoms and treatment progress, your doctor may clear you for certain controlled physical activities.
Contact UPMC's Sports Medicine Concussion Program
Call 412-432-3681 to learn more about concussion testing and treatment or schedule an appointment with one of our concussion experts.