Educational Experiences for Advanced Practice Provider Students
CRNA/CRNP/PA Student Rotations at UPMC
UPMC welcomes students from participating schools for clinical rotations.
The UPMC Office of Advanced Practice Providers (OAPP) provides rotation placement assistance for students interested in completing their elective rotation at UPMC. Students interested in completing a rotation in a specialty office/department at UPMC should submit an application via the OAPP's online application website.
Elective rotation placement assistance requests should be submitted no later than three months prior to the start of the requested rotation. Elective requests will be fulfilled based on preceptor availability.
The UPMC OAPP does not offer rotation placement assistance for students in need of a preceptor for their Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, General Surgery, Geriatrics, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, or Women's Health rotations.
These rotations must be coordinated between APP programs and their established relationships at UPMC. All students confirmed for a rotation at a UPMC site via an established relationship will be required to submit an online application within the deadlines listed below.
Students and programs should not cold call any UPMC site.
Application Submission Deadlines
- Applications should be submitted no later than six weeks prior to the start of their rotation.
- Spring Requests: Dec. 1
- Summer Requests: April 1
- Fall Requests: August 1
**CRNA Students should submit their application at least three weeks prior to the start of their first clinical experience at UPMC.
Student Experience Agreements
In order to complete a rotation at a UPMC site, your program must have a student experience agreement with UPMC. Most programs in the Pittsburgh area have an agreement with UPMC.
Please contact the OAPP at APPStudents@upmc.edu in the event that your program is not listed in the drop down menu when applying for a rotation.
Students will need to complete ALL of the required paperwork listed below and save each requirement as a separate PDF/JPEG file. (If there are multiple pages in the requirement, please be sure to save all pages of the requirement in one file.) **Students should title the saved documents according to their name on the checklist.**
These documents will need to be uploaded onto our online application website.
For your convenience, please click here to download a checklist of the required documents. All forms must be hand-signed; electronic signatures will not be accepted.
- Pennsylvania State Clearances - All clearances must have been obtained within the last three years.
- Official documentation (a certificate or letter from the training agency) stating that you’ve completed approved training in child abuse recognition and reporting requirements.
Go to a free online training course here.
- Note from your health care provider on office letterhead or a prescription that indicates that you have been seen within the year and are physically fit for clinical rotations
- Results of a tuberculin skin test or chest x-ray (must not be more than one year old)
- Hepatitis B immunizations
- Rubella titer
- History of varicella (proof of disease or copy of your titer)
- Evidence of Flu Vaccination (only required for students requesting a rotation during the time period of August-March). Please reach out to the OAPP at APPstudents@upmc.edu if you would like to request an exemption form.
- Evidence of Flu Vaccination (only required for students requesting a rotation during the time period of August-March)
- Certificate of liability insurance (you will need to request this information from your program)
- Exhibit A (.pdf)
- Signed last page of UPP Handbook (.pdf)
- Signed HIPAA Compliance Form (.pdf)
- Student Agreement, Exhibit A for IMS Codes (.pdf)
If your rotation is confirmed, you will receive information regarding a mandatory drug screening that will need to be completed prior to the start of your rotation.
Privacy and Security Awareness Training
Under requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), health care workers must complete training related to patient privacy and information security. UPMC employees fulfilled these requirements during the initial timeframe in 2003-2004. New hires receive this training during their UPMC orientation.
As of May 2010, all UPMC employees were required to retrain as part of the changes related to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). Students, volunteers, vendors, consultants, or contractors are considered to be part of the UPMC workforce and should fulfill the training requirements.
To fulfill this requirement, please view the HIPAA Training documents and complete the three quizzes that are included below.
Please print and complete the following quizzes:
Students and faculty are required to complete all the mandatory education modules and mandatory clinical modules in order to comply with applicable laws, policies, and regulations.
Remember to review the module and complete the accompanying assessment or acknowledgement. You must achieve a score of 80 percent or higher to fulfill your requirement. Print and return all confirmation pages indicating the assessment score and/or acknowledgement via our online application process.
Mandatory Clinical Training Module — required for students who perform patient care
Access the Clinical Support Module to begin the 2014 clinical mandatory training module.
Once you have the required information saved and ready to submit, please use our online application website.
**Partial applications cannot be saved. Please be sure to have all of the required information available prior to visiting the application website.
The OAPP will contact you via email once your application has been received.
If you have questions regarding our requirements or your application, please email the OAPP at APPStudents@upmc.edu.