Hard or Semisoft Cheese (cheddar, Swiss, brick)
- Melt on sandwiches, bread, muffins, tortillas, hamburgers, hot dogs, other meats or fish, vegetables, eggs, and desserts such as stewed fruit or pies
- Grate and add to soups, sauces, casseroles, vegetable dishes, mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, or meat loaf.
|Cottage Cheese or Ricotta Cheese
- Mix with or use to stuff fruits and vegetables
- Add to casseroles, spaghetti, noodles, and egg dishes such as omelets, scrambled eggs, and soufflés.
- Use in gelatin, pudding-type desserts, cheesecake, and pancake butter.
- Use to stuff crepes and pasta shells or manicotti.
- Use milk in beverages and in cooking when possible.
- Use in preparing food such as hot cereal, soups, cocoa, or pudding.
- Add cream sauces to vegetables and other dishes.
- Add a tablespoon of non-fat, dry powdered milk to each cup of regular milk, cream soups, and mashed potatoes.
| Powdered Milk
- Add to regular milk and milk drinks such as pasteurized eggnog and milkshakes
- Use in casseroles, meat loaf, breads, muffins, sauces, cream soups, puddings and custards, and milk-based desserts.
|Nutritional Drink Mixes (Boost or Ensure)
- Use nutritional drink mixes available in supermarkets and drug stores
- Use instant breakfast powder in milk drinks and desserts
- Mix with ice cream, milk, and fruit or flavorings for a high-protein milkshake.
|Ice Cream, Yogurt, and Frozen Yogurt
- Add to carbonated drinks such as ginger ale and to milk drinks such as milkshakes.
- Add to cereals, fruits, gelatin desserts, and pies; blend or whip with soft or cooked fruits
- Sandwich ice cream or frozen yogurt between enriched cake slices, cookies or graham crackers.
- Add chopped, hard-cooked eggs to salads and dressings, vegetables, casseroles, and creamed meats.
- Beat eggs into mashed potatoes, vegetable purees, and sauces. Add extra yolks to quiches, scrambled eggs, custards, puddings, pancakes, French toast, batter, and milkshakes.
- Make a rich custard with egg yolks, high protein milk, and sugar.
- Add extra hard-cooked yolks to deviled egg filling and sandwich spreads.
|Nuts, Seeds, and Wheat Germ
- Add to casseroles, breads, muffins, pancakes, cookies, and waffles.
- Sprinkle on fruit, cereal, ice cream, yogurt, vegetables, salads, and toast as a crunchy topping; use in place of bread crumbs.
- Blend with parsley or spinach, herbs, and cream for a noodle, pasta, or vegetable sauce.
- Roll a banana in chopped nuts.
- Spread on sandwiches, toast, muffins, crackers, waffles, pancakes, and fruit slices.
- Use as a dip for raw vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, and celery.
- Blend with milk drinks and other beverages.
- Swirl through soft ice cream and yogurt.
|Meat and Fish
- Add chopped, cooked meat or fish to vegetables, salads, casseroles, soups, sauces, and biscuit dough.
- Use in omelets, soufflés, quiches, sandwich fillings, and chicken and turkey stuffing.
- Wrap in piecrust or biscuit dough to make turnovers
- Add to stuffed baked potatoes.
- Eat calf liver or chicken liver or heart; these are especially good sources of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- Cook and use dried peas and beans and bean curd (tofu) in soups or add to casseroles, pastas, and grain dishes that also contain cheese or meat.