Total Knee Replacement Activity Guidelines
Continue to use the following guidelines until your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Avoid placing pillows under your operative knee.
- Elevate leg by placing pillows under your entire leg and foot to reduce swelling.
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time (more than 30 to 60 minutes) in one position. Get up and move around.
- Continue to use your walker, crutches, or cane until your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Wear well-fitting shoes with non-skid soles.
- Take short, frequent walks.
- Be careful on uneven ground or wet surfaces.
- Maintain your weight-bearing status as instructed until your doctor or therapist tells you otherwise.
- Avoid pivoting or twisting on the operated leg.
- You may use a walk-in shower. Otherwise, take sponge baths or purchase a tub bench.
- Continue to perform your exercises until your doctor or therapist tells you otherwise.
- Sit down when passing clothing over your feet.
- Avoid kneeling or squatting.
- Use a rolling cart to transport items (see picture at right).
Riding in a car
- DO NOT drive until your doctor says
- Avoid long car rides (more than 30 to 60 minutes). Stop, get out, and walk around before continuing your car trip.
- Do not feel that you have to avoid sexual relations. Discuss this with your doctor or therapist.