Bariatric Surgery Process: Our Multidisciplinary Approach to Bariatric Surgery
UPMC's multidisciplinary approach to bariatric surgery includes personalized care from all members of the weight loss team — before, during, and after your surgery.
- Receive assistance and ongoing support from our bariatric surgeons dietitians, psychologists, and exercise specialists.
- Access educational activities and support groups before and after weight loss surgery.
- Achieve long-term, weight loss success as our lifelong partner.
We’re with you every step of the way.
The Steps to Surgical Weight Loss at UPMC
Step 1: Attend a free bariatric surgery information session
Offered several times a month, you'll:
Step 2: Schedule a Bariatric Consult
- The bariatric surgeon will review your patient assessment form to determine if you're a good a candidate for surgery.
- If yes, the surgeon's office will contact you to schedule a consult for your personal weight loss plan and to decide the best weight loss surgery for you.
Step 3:Start the Presurgical Lifestyle Support Program
This six-month program will help you prepare for bariatric surgery and meet your insurance requirements.
Step 4: Finalize Your Treatment and Have Surgery
Soon after you begin your lifestyle program, you will meet with your bariatric surgeon to discuss either your surgical procedure or nonsurgical procedure and help you prepare.
Step 5: Receive Post-Surgery Instructions and Support
Before you leave the hospital, your care team will go over your postoperative instructions. We'll also arrange follow-up support and educational services to help you achieve long-term weight loss success.