Ultherapy is a noninvasive ultrasound procedure using a device called the Ulthera™ system. Uthera is used for:
- Skin tightening
- Rejuvenation for improved jawline definition
- Neck contouring
- Upper eyelid hooding
Patients describe the feeling as a deep heat or prickling sensation as the energy is being delivered to the skin. Comfort levels vary from person to person, but most patients are able to tolerate the treatment without medication.
The regenerative process begins immediately following the treatment. The full effect will gradually build over the course of two to three months.
Completely noninvasive, Thermage® radiofrequency treatments stimulate the growth of new collagen for:
- Softened wrinkles and lines
- Tighter, smoother skin
- An overall younger appearance
The Thermage device tightens and contours:
- Sagging skin, such as “turkey neck”
- Crepey skin texture on the eyelids
- Fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, eyes, and forehead
Expectations of Ultrasound and Radiofrequency Treatments
- Since every patient is different (age, anatomy, skin quality) it is not possible to completely predict who will benefit from the Ulthera/Thermage procedure. However, most patients see noticeable results by 6 months. Some patients require a touch up treatment after 6 months.
- Some patients may notice tightening of the skin as soon as 2 weeks after treatment. It is more common, however, to start noticing results 4-6 months after treatment.
- Results may last 1 ½ -2 years after just one treatment. This may be prolonged with low dose BOTOX® injections to neck muscles & jowls to prevent the downward pull of these muscles. This can be done every 4 months.
- You may experience redness to treated areas for 24-48 hours after treatment. The treated area may be tender to touch for 3-4 weeks.
- Ulthera may cause bruising. It is extremely important to follow our pre-procedure instructions and our “Tips to Minimize Bruising”.
- Mild swelling is normal and can be expected to occur to the treated areas. To reduce this, sleep with your head in an elevated position for the first couple of nights after procedure. Unless advised, avoid the application of ice to the treatment area as this may alter the desired results.
- Rarely, you may experience a blister. If this occurs, PLEASE CALL US and keep the area moist with a healing ointment (such as Aquaphor® or Vaniply®) or petroleum jelly, to minimize the chance of scarring.
- Temporary numbness to the treated area can occur and generally fades in a few days.
Skincare after Ulthera & Thermage
- Be gentle with the treated area for the first 48 hours.
- Cleanse with a non-abrasive cleanser and pat dry.
- Avoid picking, scratching or rubbing the treated area.
- Please avoid direct sun exposure the first day or until any bruising fades
- Use a broad spectrum (zinc or titanium based) sunscreen daily. We recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm SunShield SPF 50, or Neutrogena® Sensitive Skin SPF 60.
- During work hours, call the office at the number at the top of this sheet.
- After hours: Hospital Operator for the Dermatology Resident ON CALL: (412) 647-2345