Integrative Mind-Body Services
What Are Integrative Mind-Body Services?
Integrative mind-body services involves a holistic approach that uses both conventional and complementary therapies in the treatment of mental health problems, as well as helping individuals with stress management and adjustment to chronic medical illnesses.
Personalized treatments are developed to suit each person’s lifestyle and strengthen self-awareness and resources for self-care. These treatments may include:
- Mind-body centering exercises that increase the relaxation response
- Guided imagery to engage the mind in the healing process
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Cardiac coherence training — involving a form of biofeedback that emphasizes the impact of the relaxation response on the cardiovascular system
- Traditional psychotherapies that have proven effective for depression and anxiety disorders, such as cognitive behavioral therapy
- Counseling on exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle change
- Group programs in hatha yoga and mindfulness meditation
What Is the Background of Integrative Mind-Body Services?
- Psychiatric disorders and chemical dependency issues are extremely common.
- Given the pressures in our society, stress and social isolation take a toll on our mental and physical health.
- Over 40 percent of Americans currently use some form of alternative health care.
- Many individuals are reluctant to pursue traditional mental health treatment or may not fully benefit from the traditional approaches.
What Are the Indications for Integrative Mind-Body Services?
- people who want to take responsibility for their well-being by addressing the effects on health of lifestyle, emotions, and social interactions
- individuals who have not fully benefited from traditional mental health treatments
- individuals with post-traumatic stress disorders, depression, anxiety, and phobias
- individuals experiencing the effects of stress on their mental or physical health or relationships
- individuals with health problems that can have a significant stress component such as hypertension and coronary artery disease
What Are the Contraindications for Integrative Mind-Body Services?
- Individuals with active suicidality or psychosis may require a more intensive level of psychiatric care.