UPMC Adult Sickle Cell Disease Program
People with inherited blood disorders require ongoing care and support.
At the UPMC Adult Sickle Cell Disease Program in Pittsburgh, Pa., we treat people over the age of 21 who have sickle cell disease or thalassemia.
Our goal is to help our patients manage their disease and improve their quality of life.
Complete Care for Genetic Blood Disorders
Our dedicated health care team has expertise in managing these complex genetic blood diseases.
We customize your treatment to fit your needs, providing:
- Ongoing medical management
- Periodic medical follow-up visits
- Preventive therapies
- Support services
And, because many people with adult sickle cell disease develop pulmonary hypertension (PH), we offer access to the UPMC Pulmonary Hypertension Program.
It's one of only a few PH programs in the nation that combines the knowledge of both pulmonary and cardiology experts. This means you receive complete PH treatment for this dangerous complication of sickle cell disease.
Why Choose the UPMC Adult Sickle Cell Disease Program?
- A seamless transition at age 21: Our connection to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC makes it easy to continue treatment, without interruption, when you turn 21.
- Advanced tools for guiding treatment: Our state-of-the-art technology, like hemoglobin electrophoresis testing, allows us to pinpoint the type of abnormal hemoglobin in your blood and then offer the best treatment options for you.
- World-class specialists: As a patient of our program, you have access to UPMC's many specialists. They are available to consult with you and provide coordinated care for complications of sickle cell disease.
Learn more about the conditions we treat at the UPMC Adult Sickle Cell Disease Program.