UPMC Stroke Institute
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability and the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States.
Window of Treatment
Patient outcomes improve with early action in treatment and restoring blood flow. Therefore, it is critical that treatment start as soon as possible. For every hour's delay in medical treatment, the brain loses 120 million cells.
Experts at the UPMC Stroke Institute are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the certified Primary Stroke Center locations:
Our Multidisciplinary Team
Our team of experts uses advanced therapies to treat stroke with the goal of restoring cognitive and physical function.
Why Choose the UPMC Stroke Institute?
- The UPMC Stroke Institute is a leading provider of high-quality medical and surgical stroke treatment.
- UPMC neurologists and neurosurgeons are among the national leaders in stroke therapy and can offer patients advanced or investigational stroke therapies not available at other stroke treatment centers.
- Our stroke experts see more than 1,000 patients each year, and provide consultation for hundreds of others through the UPMC Stroke Telemedicine Program.
About the UPMC Stroke Institute
The institute focuses on:
- Quality patient care: employing a multidisciplinary approach
- Clinical research: flourishing clinical research programs
- Educational efforts: ongoing education for health professionals and the community