UPMC Trauma Care System
When the unexpected happens, the emergency and trauma teams at UPMC Trauma Care System's Level I and Level II trauma centers offer the highest level of specialized care for critically injured patients.
- UPMC Presbyterian — a 44-bed emergency and Level I trauma center offering advanced care for stroke and complex traumatic injuries.
- UPMC Mercy — the only facility in western Pennsylvania to have a Level I trauma center and comprehensive burn center under one roof.
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC — designated as the region’s only Level I regional resource pediatric trauma center with subspecialists in all pediatric medical and surgical disciplines.
- UPMC Hamot — Northwestern Pennsylvania's only designated Level II trauma center with a multidisciplinary team of specialists offering the highest quality of care.
- UPMC Altoona — this trauma center has the largest service area in the state, serving 20 counties in west central Pennsylvania.
Admitting between 11,000 and 12,000 adult trauma patients and 1,700 pediatric trauma patients annually, UPMC Trauma Care System is the largest trauma system in Pennsylvania, and is one of the most comprehensive trauma systems, by scope and depth of services, in the nation.
The Trauma Care Team
A multidisciplinary team of experts is available around the clock at UPMC Trauma Care System locations throughout southwestern and northwestern Pennsylvania to provide the most advanced trauma care available. The care team may include:
||The Prehospital Care team institutes quality and improvement measures for local EMS providers to continually improve patient care.|
|General Trauma Surgeons and Emergency Specialists
This group of specialists concentrate on immediate life-saving treatments.
||Trauma neurosurgeons identify and treat damaged areas of the brain and spinal cord caused by severe injury.|
||Cardiovascular trauma surgeons diagnose and treat life-threatening heart injuries. |
||Orthopaedic trauma surgeons stabalize limb injuries caused by severe trauma. |
||Burn specialists provide immediate and long-term treatment for patients suffering from severe burns.|
||Rehabilitation specialists help patients who are recovering from a traumatic injury return to leading a normal life.|
|Attending Physicians, Fellows, Residents, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
||This group of specialists work together to ensure that patients receive the best possible care.|