UPMC Facts & Stats
UPMC, a world-renowned health care provider and insurer based in Pittsburgh, Pa., is inventing new models of accountable, cost-effective, patient-centered care.
- UPMC is a nonprofit that melds an unwavering community mission with entrepreneurial business models. UPMC is the first nonprofit health system to fully adopt Sarbanes-Oxley.
- UPMC is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania, with 60,000 employees.
- A recognized innovator in information technology, UPMC was an early adopter of electronic health records and the interoperability solutions that tie them together. Its clinical and technological capabilities have attracted such technology partners as General Electric, IBM and Oracle.
UPMC operates more than 20 academic, community, and specialty hospitals, more than 500 doctors' offices and outpatient sites, employs nearly 3,600 physicians, and offers an array of rehabilitation, retirement, and long-term care facilities.
- UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system. With renowned centers of excellence in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation, geriatrics, and women’s health, it currently is ranked No. 13 in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals – with 14 adult specialties ranked.
- The virtually paperless Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC was the nation’s first pediatric hospital to achieve HIMSS Stage 7, the highest level of electronic health record implementation. Overall, more than a dozen of UPMC’s hospitals are at the highest levels of EHR adoption, as are its outpatient locations, enhancing the quality and safety of patient care.
UPMC’s Insurance Services Division has grown to more than 2.9 million members in just over a decade. UPMC is a proven integrated delivery and health finance system — the first of its kind in western Pennsylvania — and the Insurance Services Division (ISD) is leading the way with innovative health plans for virtually all segments of society that deliver better quality and lower costs.
- ISD provides health plans to employers and their employees and dependents, to individual members, as well as to those eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- ISD offers workers’ compensation, disability management, and leave management services, as well as some of the most comprehensive health improvement, wellness, and workplace productivity programs anywhere in the United States. It is also the largest behavioral health insurance provider in Pennsylvania, and operates two software development companies focused on helping health care providers and employers with efficient care and employee benefits.
Through its International Division, UPMC has launched dozens of international ventures.
- UPMC provides hands-on health care consulting and management services to help reshape the economics and practice of health care globally. UPMC works with health care leaders to meet their needs, from managing the design and construction of a new hospital, to improving health system financial efficiency, and developing best-in-class clinical care programs through the use of advanced technology. With more than 25 operational projects, UPMC works in clinical specialties including oncology, transplantation, emergency medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and neurosurgery. UPMC's work spans four continents, with active projects in countries such as China, Japan, Russia, Kazakhstan, India, Singapore, Myanmar, Colombia, Italy, Germany, Lithuania, and Slovenia. UPMC believes in collaborating to provide the best possible health care for patients, close to home.
As the commercialization arm of UPMC, UPMC Enterprises is changing America’s health care system through innovations that impact the lives of patients in meaningful, lasting ways.
- UPMC Enterprises believes that the smart integration of technology within the health care industry is an opportunity to both improve the quality and lower the cost of health care.
- By investing in exceptional health care innovations, UPMC Enterprises takes full advantage of the vast clinical, technical, and financial resources of UPMC in order to solve the most complex problems facing our industry.
- Partnering with highly qualified inventors, scientists, and entrepreneurs, UPMC Enterprises helps turn innovative ideas into growing, thriving companies that benefit the health care industry and patients alike.
UPMC is committed to giving back and reinvesting in the community.
- In the fiscal year 2014, UPMC’s community contributions were $888 million and represented more than 15 percent of net patient revenue.
- UPMC maintains its $100 million commitment to the Pittsburgh Promise to fund postsecondary education for Pittsburgh’s high school graduates.
UPMC is closely affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh, which has ranked among the top 10 recipients of National Institutes of Health research funding since 1998.