Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency Program
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ranks among the top medical schools in the United States. The school’s innovative curriculum features intensive hands-on training through a partnership with UPMC.
This, combined with the disciplined academic focus of the university, represents one characteristic that sets our cardiothoracic surgery residency programs apart from others.
Top-Notch Training for Future CT Surgeons
For those interested in pursuing a residency in cardiothoracic surgery, we offer two programs:
- Two-Year Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency Program — for candidates who have successfully completed an ACGME accredited five-year general surgery residency. The program includes two cardiac track positions and two thoracic track positions each year for a total of eight residents. Application deadline: January 31.
- Six-Year Integrated Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency Program — for candidates directly out of medical school. This program includes one cardiac track and one thoracic track position each year for a total complement of 12 residents. Application deadline: December 30.
The Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency Program benefits future CT surgeons by providing:
- Strong clinical surgery training support
- Creative clinician scientist educators
- A close partnership with UPMC
- Exposure to innovative research and new therapeutic frontiers
- An exciting experiential learning environment
How to Apply to the Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency Program
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine accepts applications through the ERAS® (Electronic Residency Application Service) website.
Applicants must apply by:
Please visit the ERAS site to learn more about application requirements, fees, and other details.
Christine Regan Carey
Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency and Fellowship Coordinator
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Suite C800
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213