Participating physicians who qualify may have the opportunity to receive malpractice insurance at competitive rates through UPMC’s primary malpractice liability insurance carrier, Tri-Century Insurance Company, a licensed casualty carrier within the commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a subsidiary of UPMC. Tri-Century provides primary malpractice liability coverage on an occurrence basis within the basic limits as required by Pennsylvania law.
UPMC Insurance Program
Physicians in UPMC's Community Physician Affiliation Program have the opportunity to receive a quote from UPMC's malpractice insurance carrier, Tri-Century Insurance Company. Tri-Century is a Pennsylvania-licensed casualty carrier owned by UPMC. UPMC-affiliated physicians benefit by obtaining comprehensive coverage at a competitive cost.
The program offers primary malpractice liability coverage written on an "occurrence-basis" with the basic limits as required by Pennsylvania law. The program's insured include all entities of UPMC including its full-time faculty (UPP) and other employed physicians, the University of Pittsburgh, residents of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and additional Hospital entities.
To qualify for a malpractice quote, an affiliated physician must:
- Have a signed UPMC Physician Affiliation Program agreement.
- Complete the Tri-Century application and provide all required information per the application.
- Provide a 5-year malpractice lawsuit loss history from your current/past carrier(s).
- Comply with Tri-Century’s professional risk and claims management criteria.
- Obtain coverage for all Practice Plan (Entity) employees.
- Provide copies of current declaration page or certificate of insurances evidencing current malpractice coverage.
The program’s professional risk and insurance personnel are:
- Robert G. Voinchet, Jr., President & Counsel, Captive Insurance Program, 412-647-8482, email@example.com
- Christopher P. Bosser, Director of Corporate & Captive Insurance, 412-432-7693, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Margaret A. Proctor, Senior Insurance Analyst, Corporate & Captive Insurance, 412-432-7695, email@example.com
- Richard P. Kidwell, Senior Associate Counsel & Director of Risk Management, Department of Patient Safety/Risk Management, 412-647-7398, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chatón T. Turner, Assistant Counsel, Department of Patient Safety/Risk Management, 412-647-6179, email@example.com
- Lisa Painter, Director, Department of Patient Safety/Risk Management, 412-647-9277, firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain a malpractice application or for additional information, please contact Christopher Bosser at 412-432-7693 or Margaret Proctor at 412-432-7695.