Labor and Delivery at Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot
Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot wants your delivery to be just that – your delivery.
We go out of our way to offer a variety of birthing options that can be tailored to your needs.
After birth, you and your baby remain under highly personalized care. You have the option of having your baby stay in your room with you which enables you to learn how to care for your new infant. Our nurses will help you to take of you as well, a priority that is often neglected during this busy time.
Privacy for New Moms
After delivery, you will have all of the privacy you want for your new family. We provide special visiting hours for sibling and grandparent visitation.
Your comfort is the highest priority with bedside care, back rubs, walks, and assistance in easing you into new positions.
We also offer a tour of the women’s hospital prior to delivery for the expectant parents so you can feel comfortable in the facility.
The nursing staff brings decades of experience in labor and delivery to your delivery.
Our maternity care services provide technology to care for you and your baby. From ultrasound to stress and non-stress testing, you can rely on Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot's maternity care for accurate results.
For those babies that need special care, Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot has a team of experienced neonatologists, pediatric cardiologists, and a level three neonatal intensive care unit that has been serving the region for over 30 years.
Safe Sleep for Babies
To create a safe sleep environment at home:
- Always place a baby on his or her back to sleep, for naps and at night, to reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Use a firm sleep surface, covered by a fitted sheet.
- Your baby should not sleep in an adult bed, on a couch or on a chair alone, with you, or with anyone else.
- Keep soft objects such as pillows and blankets, toys and bumpers out of your baby’s sleep area.
- Do not smoke during pregnancy or allow smoking around your baby.
- Do not let your baby get too hot during sleep.
- Breastfeed your baby.
- Give your baby a dry pacifier that is not attached to a string for naps and at night to reduce the risk of SIDS.