Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC shares in UPMC’s commitment to support systemwide waste reduction, energy efficiency, renewable resources, and conservation.
At Magee, we are advancing environmentally friendly and sustainable operations throughout our hospital in many ways.
- Neonatal Intensive Care uses plastic materials that are DEHP- and PVC-free
- Food service has replaced plastic and foam food and beverage containers with biodegradable corn and paper products.
- Implementation of alcohol recycling in our labs
- We have extensive recycling programs in place for paper, plastic, cardboard, batteries, fluorescent lights, medical, and hazardous waste.
- Use of nontoxic cleaning products
- Remodeling of our antepartum and postpartum units using sustainable and environmentally friendly materials.
- Purchase of new indoor air quality meter
- Instituted paperless meetings