Our History at UPMC McKeesport
Founded in 1894, UPMC McKeesport is a nonprofit acute care community hospital that serves the 200,000 residents of McKeesport and the surrounding area. The hospital offers 216 beds for acute care patients and 56 beds for patients who need skilled nursing care. Besides a separate Intensive Care Unit and Cardiac Care Unit, the hospital offers ongoing rehabilitation and educational programs to patients with cardiac, neurologic, and orthopaedic diagnoses. A new, state-of-the-art emergency room opened in December of 1999.
UPMC McKeesport is in the valley of the historic Monongahela River — the Mon Valley. The Mon Valley is home to a large number of elderly residents. To serve this population, the hospital has become an approved site for the Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE). As a PACE site, UPMC McKeesport offers an innovative program of seamless health care to older patients. UPMC McKeesport is a teaching hospital, with residency programs in both family practice and internal medicine.
The hospital’s merger with UPMC in April 1998 provides access to UPMC’s state-of-the-art diagnostic and interventional capabilities and its extensive roster of specialists. The resources of UPMC have allowed UPMC McKeesport to enhance its commitment to the community. This commitment is visible through the health care services the hospital provides as well as through the community-focused programs sponsored by the McKeesport Hospital Foundation.