Information for Visitors to UPMC McKeesport
Family and friends are very important to the healing process. To make it easier for loved ones to be involved in the patient’s care, visiting hours are not limited to any specific time frame with the exception of the Behavioral Health Unit. Please talk with the patient’s nurse to coordinate appropriate times.
Children Under 12
- Children under the age of 12 are discouraged from visiting. It is best that children not be exposed to infection.
- All children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. This rule applies in all rooms, lobbies, corridors, public restrooms, and the cafeteria.
What to Bring/ What Not to Bring
- Flowers are permitted in patient rooms, including the Intensive Care Unit.
- Latex balloons are not permitted. Mylar balloons are OK.
- Please check with the nurse before offering a patient anything to eat or drink.
Cafeteria and Food Services
- A Level, Shaw Building
Breakfast 6:30 to 9:30 a.m.
Lunch 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Dinner 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Subway Restaurant, on the first floor of the Prescott Building, is open daily.
- First floor, Crawford Building
- Next to the Emergency Department on C Level, Mansfield Building.
To Prevent Infection
- People who are coughing, sneezing, or ill must not visit.
- Visitors are asked to cover coughs or sneezes with their arm.
- All visitors should wash their hands upon entering and leaving patient rooms.
- When isolation is called for, visitors must take all isolation precautions as the physician or nurse directs.
- Please do not use patient restrooms unless the patient is assigned a private room and gives consent.
Sometimes We Must Ask Visitors to Leave
Visitors may be required to leave the patient's room if:
- The patient is being examined by a doctor or nurse
- The patient’s condition has changed so that he or she needs to be seen by a doctor or nurse
- The patient or clinician has asked to be left alone