UPMC Mercy Trauma and Burn Center
Traumatic injuries and severe burns can occur in seconds. But, it takes years for caregivers to develop the expertise to treat these injuries.
For more than 40 years, UPMC Mercy has been a leader in providing comprehensive care for patients of trauma and burn injuries.
What UPMC Mercy Provides
As the region’s only combined Level I Regional Resource Trauma and Comprehensive Burn Center, UPMC Mercy delivers both emergency treatment and longer-term burn care designed to facilitate healing.
UPMC Mercy treats thousands of trauma and burn patients from the tri-state region. To respond to these emergencies, UPMC Mercy has built a team of specialists including:
- 24-hour in-house attending trauma surgeons qualified in the treatment of adult multi-system trauma and burn care
- Surgical critical care physicians
- A full complement of highly trained nursing and technological personnel
UPMC Mercy opened one of the first burn centers in the United States in 1966. In 2004, thanks to a generous gift from the Perot Foundation, UPMC Mercy opened the Gertrude P. and Donald C.W. Birmingham Trauma and Burn Center, a 9,000 square-foot state-of-the-art nine-bed unit dedicated to the care of trauma and burn patients.
Learn more about Burn Services at UPMC Mercy >>
Specialized Trauma Services
The trauma team has immediate access to all hospital specialties, subspecialties, and facilities. Services include:
- Surgical sub-specialists, including neurosurgeons; orthopaedic surgeons; plastic and reconstructive surgeons; cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons; and pediatricians, medical, and geriatric specialists
- 24-hour in-house attending obstetricians and a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for the specialized treatment of trauma during pregnancy
UPMC Mercy has a rehabilitation team consisting of board-certified physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation; physical and occupational therapists; and speech, music, and recreational therapists.
After discharge, patients receive continuing care through the outpatient facility of the Gertrude P. and Donald C.W. Birmingham Trauma and Burn Center.
UPMC Mercy Trauma and Burn Centers offers a wide variety of prevention programs tailored to meet the needs of your group or organization. Our most popular programs are:
- Learn Not to Burn: A burn prevention program for children in kindergarten through middle school
- Emergency and Trauma Nurses Cancel Alcohol Related Emergencies (CARE): A drinking and driving prevention program for junior and senior high school students