Healthy Lifestyle Center at UPMC Passavant–McCandless
The Healthy Lifestyle Center at UPMC Passavant–McCandless is a resource that will help enhance the overall health of our community.
The center provides resources such as:
- Educational materials
- Health and wellness events
- Screenings and assessments
- Information and direction on disease management and prevention
Interactive computer capabilities provide easy access to various health web resources and information. Visitors can download and print information on a variety of health topics.
You can also receive free consultations from the center's director.
The Healthy Lifestyle Center is located in the main lobby of UPMC Passavant–McCandless.
Avoid the Flu — Take Care of Yourself
Besides getting a yearly influenza (flu) vaccine, there are precautions you can take to help ward off the flu.
Doctors and nutritionists say careful hygiene, a balanced diet, and plenty of rest and fluids can go a long way toward keeping you healthy this flu season.
Besides getting enough sleep — at least seven hours a night for adults and more for children — managing stress is important. Too much stress can weaken one’s immune system.
How To Stop the Spread of Germs
The main way that illnesses like colds and flus are spread is from person to person in respiratory droplets of coughs and sneezes.
Sometimes, germs can also spread when people touch these droplets on a surface — such as a table or doorknob — and then touch their own eyes, nose, or mouth before washing their hands.
Some viruses and bacteria can live two hours or longer on surfaces like cafeteria tables, doorknobs, and desks.
Tips for staying germ-free
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it's important to make sure to:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and then put your used tissue in the waste basket. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- Clean your hands often; wash with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
- Remind your children to practice healthy habits, too.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
In addition, people can help keep their immune system strong by eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E such as:
- Citrus fruits and melons
- Peanut butter
- Fish oil and corn oil
Healthy Lifestyle Center Hours of Operation
The Healthy Lifestyle Center computer kiosk is open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. at UPMC Passavant–McCandless.
Hours for consultations 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.