For emergencies, patient appointments, or general information, call 412-624-1000 or toll-free 1-877-624-4100.
Crisis support services for residents in Allegheny County, call re:solve Crisis Network.
re:solve Crisis Network
Directions & Parking
Oakland Parking Garages
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., patients and visitors may pay to park at the O’Hara Street garage located next to Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic. Exceptions: emergencies, patient discharges/admissions, ECT appointments, and handicapped parking. If you qualify for an exception, please follow the instructions printed below for courtesy rooftop parking at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
Parking and Visiting After 5 p.m. and During Weekend Visiting Hours:
- Please locate and check-in with the attendant stationed on the rooftop level of the parking lot located behind the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic main building (Desoto Street at the University of Pittsburgh Peterson Event Center), or call 412-246-6312.
- For patients and visitors coming to the inpatient programs at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, please obtain a visitor’s pass at the main lobby reception desk.
- If you are leaving the fifth floor rooftop exit, contact the clerk by using the intercom located on the wall. After contacting the clerk, the door will be released and you may exit the building.
Safety and Security at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
- All visitors must sign-in and obtain a visitor’s pass at the front desk at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
- All persons entering the Diagnostic Evaluation Center (DEC/emergency suite) at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic will be asked to submit to a safety search. This procedure is for the protection of patients, visitors, and staff. In addition, officers will scan individuals with a handheld metal detector (similar to airport screening). All pockets must be emptied by the visitor and/or patient and “carry-on” (such as handbags, purses, cases, etc.) will be checked. Officers will secure items as needed and provide a receipt for patients’ and/or visitors’ belongings.
- Safety officers may provide escorts for visitors traveling to the parking lots, call 412-246-9742.
- Lost and found articles may be returned to the cashier’s office located on the first floor at Western Psychiatric, call 412-246--5051.
- UPMC employees wear photo-identification badges that include name and department.
General Safety Tips
- Always be aware of your environment, look around and about you.
- Avoid taking shortcuts in alleys and unfamiliar side streets.
- Carry only those items that you will need for the day.
- Park in well-lit areas and do not display valuables or personal belongings in the car.
- Use a visible deterrent device on your car such as “the club.”