Uniontown Philanthropists Donate $2 Million to Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
PITTSBURGH, October 13, 2003 Robert E. and Elouise R. Eberly have made a $2 million gift to the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) to support the institutes ongoing research endeavors that aim to address the critical shortage of organs for transplantation.
The gift establishes the Eberly Program for Transplant Innovation at the Starzl Transplantation Institute, which will support both transplantation research and studies that may have implications for the treatment of end-stage organ failure and diseases such as diabetes.
We are truly grateful to the Eberlys for their generous gift to the Starzl Transplantation Institute. Their support enables us to pursue important avenues of research and sustains our teams efforts focused on improving transplantation outcomes, stated John Fung, M.D., Ph.D., the Thomas E. Starzl Professor of Transplantation Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and CEO of the Starzl Transplantation Institute.
We welcome the opportunity to be associated with and to promote the work of the Starzl Transplantation Institute, said Robert Eberly.
Mr. and Mrs. Eberly are community and philanthropic leaders who are recognized throughout Pennsylvania. Mr. Eberly, a retired banker and oil and gas producer, is president and treasurer of The Eberly Foundation and trust manager and trustee with the Eberly Family Trust. He is chairman emeritus of Fay-Penn Economic
Development, which he founded in 1991 and served as president from 1991 to 2002. From 1992 to 1995, he was president of both Greystone Production Company and Greystone Acquisitions Corporation, and from 1994 to 2001, Mr. Eberly served as president of Greystone Oil and Gas Corporation. From 1969 to 1977, he was president and treasurer of GNB Corporation and served as its chairman from 1977 to 1985. Mr. Eberly also served as chairman of Gallatin National Bank between 1977 and 1990 and was a member of the board of directors for Integra Financial Corporation from 1988 to 1991.
Mrs. Eberly, a life-long resident of Uniontown, served on the board of Integra Financial Corporation from 1991 to 1994.
Mrs. Eberlys many civic activities included serving as president of both the Pennsylvania Association of Hospital Auxiliaries and the Pennsylvania Medical Society Auxiliary and as vice chair of the Hospital Council of Western Pennsylvania. She served on the board of the Hospital Association of Pennsylvania and was president of the board of trustees for Uniontown Hospital from 1979 to 1981. Mrs. Eberly remains an active member of the Uniontown Hospital Board of Trustees and currently serves as the chair of the Uniontown Hospital Foundation, which her husband founded in 1991.
Mr. Eberly has long been active in a number of civic, philanthropic and political groups. He served on Carnegie Mellon University's Leadership Consortium for Economic Development of Pittsburgh and Southwestern Pennsylvania, was president of the Greater Uniontown Chamber of Commerce and has served in various capacities for several local and regional organizations, including the American Heart Association, Boy Scouts of America and the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Mr. and Mrs. Eberly have been active with alumni and fundraising activities for Penn State University, from which Mr. Eberly graduated in 1939 with a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry. Mrs. Eberly, a 1945 graduate of the Uniontown Hospital School of Nursing, was named a Penn State Honorary Alumna in 1989 in recognition of her involvement with the schools community and fundraising activities.