How Do I Pay My Bill?
About Your Billing Statement
UPMC is working on making our billing statements easier to read and understand. We are always trying to improve our services to make them the best they can be for you. Although most of our statements look like the new statement below, we still have a few statements that have not been updated yet.
New UPMC Statements
New UPMC Statement Resources
This is our new statement. If you received a bill that looks like this statement, please continue below. Otherwise, see our information about other UPMC statements.
Reading Your New UPMC Statement:
- Payment Due Date: The date your payment is due.
- Amount Due: Payment amount due on this statement.
- Paid Amount: Pay online, with a check or money order, or use the reverse side of remit coupon to pay by Credit Card.
- Patient Account Number: This is your billing number. The account number is not your medical record number.
- Transaction Detail: This shows the amount of charges and any previous payments or adjustments.
- Patient Balance: This is the amount due to UPMC.
- EZ Match Code for Online Payments: Use this code online to pay your bill.
- QR Code Quick Pay: Scan this bar code with your smart phone to pay your bill.
Other UPMC Statements
Other UPMC Statement Resources
If you have a different UPMC Statement, you may see the following terms:
- Patient’s Name: Your name (the patient) should appear in this box. Please notify us if your name is misspelled so we may correct the error. Please note that the statement will be addressed to the person responsible for payment (the guarantor).
- Insurance: List the patient’s primary and secondary insurance that UPMC has on record. If this information is not correct, please complete the form on the back of the statement.
- Installment Balance: This is the amount you still owe (outstanding balance) that remains on your installment or payment plan prior to you making a payment.
- Balance Due: This is the total amount due to UPMC.
- Statement Date: This is the date that appears on the bill that was mailed to your attention.
- Account Number: This is your billing number. The account number is not your medical record number. The first 9 digits of the account number remain the same throughout your patient history and the last 4 digits change with each visit.
- Service or Admit Date: This is the date that the service was provided.
- Credit Card: If you are paying by credit card, please complete this section. Provide credit card information as required and mail payment as directed.
- Check: Make check payment to the hospital in which services were received. If you are not sure where you received your service, please make your check payable to UPMC.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call our Customer Service Department at 412-864-0284 or toll-free 1-844-591-5949.
Back to top
If you have insurance:
- UPMC will bill your insurance company directly for most services
You may need to pay the following things at the time of your service or appointment:
Please note: You may be responsible for paying any charges for services not covered by your insurance. Please contact your insurance company for a list of services that are not covered.
You will need to pay the following when you get your patient medical bill:
- Any additional patient financial responsibility
Please note: You may receive more than one bill for the service you got at UPMC. Bills may be from a hospital, doctor, or ambulance service.
If you receive a bill and do not understand the content, or if you believe that the information may be incorrect, please call our Customer Service Department at 412-864-0284 or toll-free 1-844-591-5949.
Back to top
Some UPMC facilities are designated as a hospital-based-clinic, which means it is a facility similar to a doctor’s office. The services are provided by an employed doctor; but, the clinic is owned and operated by the hospital. You may receive a facility charge that is your responsibility to pay. If UPMC were not considered hospital-based, you may not receive this type of charge.
The doctor’s bill is for professional services or procedures done by your personal doctor. The hospital bill or the facility bill covers the cost of the operating room and other overhead costs.
Depending on your insurance plan, you may be responsible for paying the entire hospital or facility bill, co-insurance, and/or related co-pay for doctor charges. You may receive separate bills from the doctor and hospital for both inpatient and outpatient visits.
If you have any questions about your bill or would like to set up a payment plan, please call Customer Service at 412-864-0284 or toll-free at 1-844-591-5949.
Back to top
Paying Your Bill By Mail
UPMC accepts the following methods of payment:
- Personal checks
- Most major credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover.
When mailing in a payment, complete the information that is required on the bottom of your statement. You will be able to tear off this part of your statement and mail it to UPMC.
Paying Your Bill Online
If you would like to pay your bill online, visit our secure payment system.
If you are unable to pay your entire balance at one time, you may request to set up a payment plan. For more information, please contact Customer Service at 412-864-0284 or toll-free at 1-844-591-5949.
Paying Your Bill through MyUPMC
UPMC hospital and most physician statements are available to be viewed and paid from the "eStatement" section under the Billing tab of your MyUPMC account. You can make a payment quickly and free of charge online.
Visit MyUPMC to log into your account and pay your bill.
Paying Your UPMC Health Plan Bill
There are four easy ways to pay your UPMC Health Plan bill:
- Pay Online. Go to our PayBill website and pay by credit card, debit card or your checking or savings account (ACH).
- Sign up for AutoPay. To get started with this fast, easy and secure monthly payment, login at the UPMC Health Plan website and go to Spending, Claims and Payment, View & Pay Bills.
- Visit one of our UPMC Health Plan Connect Service and Sales Centers at Monroeville Mall, Ross Park Mall, South Hills Village, The Mall At Robinson and Millcreek Mall in Erie.
- Send a check or money order with the subscriber’s member ID number to:
UPMC Health Plan
PO Box 371842
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7842
Do you have questions about your UPMC Health Plan bill? Call Member Services at 1-888-876-2756 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Back to top