Financial Services We Offer
UPMC offers many different financial services to help with your bills, no matter how big or small they may be. Learn more about the following services and see if they may be helpful for you.
UPMC wants to provide medically necessary health care services to the residents in our facility’s communities, regardless of their financial status or ability to pay. We offer a program called UPMC Financial Assistance so that we can continue to care for our patients. You can request Financial Assistance at the time of service or billing.
You may be eligible for financial assistance if you:
- Have limited or no health insurance.
- Are not eligible for government assistance, such as Medicare or Medicaid.
- Can show you have financial need.
- Live in the primary service area of a UPMC provider.
- Provide UPMC with necessary information about household finances.
Financial Assistance is available for eligible patients who need:
- Emergency medical services
- Non-elective services for urgent, life-threatening conditions, outside of the Emergency Department
- Other medically necessary services on a case-by-case basis
This policy will not apply to individuals who reside outside the service area and would be required to travel in order to seek treatment from a UPMC Provider. The service area includes all counties contiguous to a UPMC facility.”
More information on eligibility is available on our Financial Assistance Policy (PDF).
We have a pre-arrival program that will help make your visit to UPMC go smoothly. After your doctor tells us about the service or procedure you need, a registration interviewer will call you. He or she will ask a series of personal and financial questions.
This information will be kept confidential. During the pre-registration interview, you will need to give your insurance information as well as facts about yourself, such as your address and date of birth. Providing the correct insurance information will help your bills get processed quickly and accurately. This information also will allow us to give you an estimated cost for services that your insurance does not cover.
If you don’t have insurance you may be screened by one of our specialists for Medical Assistance, or any other third party assistance program. When needed, the specialist will help you fill out and submit your application. If you are unable to pay for your service, your doctor will be contacted to see if the service you need can be delayed.
If you are interested in talking to one of our specialists, please call 1-800-371-8359.
Health Insurance Marketplace
We have Certified Application Counselors who can help you apply for health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. It can be difficult deciding which insurance option is right for you. Our counselors are able to walk you through the process and help you select the best option for you.
To schedule an appointment, please call 1-800-371-8359.
Need more time to pay your bill? No problem. UPMC offers payment plans to help you pay over a period of time. You do not need to owe a large amount of money to qualify for a payment plan.
Here are the great things about our payment plan:
- No interest – meaning we will not charge you more than you originally owed.
- You can pick the day of the month you want to pay.
- You can pay online, using your smart phone (with a QR code), or quick pay options
- We will work with you to see what makes sense in your situation.
Ready to Set Up Your Payment Plan?
Call the UPMC Customer Service Department at 1-844-591-5949 to speak to one of our specialists.
If you would like an idea of how much a procedure will cost before you schedule your appointment, please ask for a price estimate.
UPMC Price Estimator
- You can call for an estimate on-demand, over the phone.
- We have auto-generated estimates, based on scheduled procedures
- We can give you an estimated price for the facility and professional fees of your financial responsibility
Please call 1-800-371-8359 option 5 to request a price estimate.
Review of Hospital Charge Description Master (CDM) Files
Upon written request, the UPMC Charge Description Master (CDM) file for each hospital will be available for review on-site at the hospital to which the CDM file applies, or at the Corporate Revenue Cycle office in Pittsburgh. Individuals who wish to review a UPMC CDM file must contact the Director of Charge Management in writing to request an appointment, and must specify the hospital CDM file(s) being requested. UPMC will provide read-only access to the CDM file for review on-site during the scheduled appointment.
Appointments to view a CDM File can be scheduled Monday – Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Requests for Charge Description Master file review can be sent to:
UPMC Hospital CDM Review Requests
c/o Director of Charge Management
2 Hot Metal Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
5 Tips You Should Know About Paying Your Bill
We want to make this easy for you so that you can focus on getting better. Here are 5 things you can do during your health care journey to make it a smooth process.
- Make sure you have your insurance cards with you at all times. Please bring them with you to your scheduled appointments.
- Know your insurance benefits. If you have questions about what your insurance covers, please call your insurance company.
- Make sure that your doctor and UPMC are covered by your insurance.
- Check with your insurance company to see if you need referrals.
- Ask your primary care doctor’s office for a referral authorization before you see a specialist. Pay a co-pay if your insurance requires a co-pay or out-of-pocket expense at the time of service.